Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 42 Washington, DC


It's about an hour & 1/2 drive from Cobb Island to DC and even though I've been to the city so many times, I wanted to get the NPS Passport stamps to finish out the trip. Wanda was recuperating from a foot problem so she stayed at the Jones' and I did a 3 1/2 hour walking tour marathon.

I usually take the Metro downtown to the Navy Memorial/National Archives when I go to visit DC, so I started at the Navy Mem. to get the 1st of the NPS Stamps. They have a very nice display in a building next to the plaza and the statue of the Lone Sailor.
Ford's Theater is a few blocks north of Pennsylvania Ave. & I got the stamps and some flat pennies.
One of my favorite buildings in DC is the Old Post Office building on Pennsylvania Ave. about 1/2 way from the Capital to the White House.
The food court is on the ground floor of the 9 story atrium and a series of elevators takes you to the tower, the 3rd highest point in the city after the Capital & Wash. Monument
The view is pretty good from all directions.
A partial view of the White House behind the Treasury Building & the Willard Hotel

I stopped at the White House Visitor center for NPS Stamps and across PA. Ave. is the historic Willard Hotel. There's not too many places in DC I've not seen, the Willard is one I should get to sometime.

The South Lawn. I did see Michelle's vegetable garden and the girls' play set but no sign of any of the occupants.
Surprising, I've also never been to the top. There's always so much more that I want to see in the museums and you have to be there fairly early to get a ticket and then wait around till your time to go up. I did stop at the Lodge bookstore and got about 16 NPS Stamps.
The view from the Washington Monument looking west at the WW II monument, Reflecting Pool & Lincoln Memorial

The WW II monument has a mixture of items, the columns represent each state, Atlantic & Pacific theaters each have a tower. This is the Atlantic side.

There are a number of famous inscriptions
The effect of the different levels is very dramatic.
The reflecting pool is at eye level from the lower level of the WW II Mon.
The Vietnam War Memorail is one of the most moving monuments on the mall.

The people are always quite and respectful.
The Lincoln Memorial
The NPS denies it, but according to legend, Daniel Chester French who sculpted Lincoln,

sculpted his own profile in Lincoln's hair. The kids love it when I tell them this when we come here for the 8th grade field trip.
I was tempted calling out " Ginny" to see if she'd come wading into the Pool crying "Forrest ! "
One of the latest memorials is the Korean War on the other side of the reflecting pool from Vietnam
The Arts & Industries Building of the Smithsonian has been closed for a number of years. It was originally built to house the exhibits from the Centennial. It has some really neat architecture.

I ended at the American Indian Museum, one of the more interesting designs in the city.

We certainly saw a lot of Indian historic sites on this trip so I guess it's a fitting end of the quick DC tour..































No comments:

Post a Comment